Jerry Weiss

Error message

  • Warning: array_merge(): Expected parameter 1 to be an array, bool given in _simpleads_render_ajax_template() (line 133 of /home/pdccourier/www/www/sites/all/modules/simpleads/includes/
  • Notice: Trying to get property 'settings' of non-object in _simpleads_adgroup_settings() (line 343 of /home/pdccourier/www/www/sites/all/modules/simpleads/includes/
  • Warning: array_merge(): Expected parameter 1 to be an array, bool given in _simpleads_render_ajax_template() (line 157 of /home/pdccourier/www/www/sites/all/modules/simpleads/includes/
  • Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in include() (line 24 of /home/pdccourier/www/www/sites/all/modules/simpleads/templates/simpleads_ajax_call.tpl.php).

Jerry Weiss passed away at age 73, after a long battle with cancer. Jerry was born to Herbert and Charlotte (Gordon) Weiss, one of three children, where the Weiss family farmed in the West Union area. He graduated from high school in the McGregor school system. While in high school he met Phyllis Young and they became high school sweethearts. Through their union they were blessed with a son whom they named Jeffrey, but then Jerry received his draft notice to report for duty to Fort Sill, Oklahoma, home of the “BIG RED ONE” military base, for a two year tour of duty to Vietnam.  During that time his son was born. After returning to the states he took his family to Lawton, Oklahoma. Jerry was released from duty with an honorable discharge and also had the honor and privilege to bring the “colors” home from Vietnam to the “BIG RED ONE” military base in Fort Sill, Oklahoma. The “color bearers” were invited to the White House by President Richard Nixon, where he was honored with a Certificate of Appreciation and Gratitude for his service to the Nation. Jerry then moved his family back to Iowa, where they settled in McGregor. He worked hard to provide for his family, always had a job and even had a small self-employed spray painting company for a short time. Jerry worked for the railroad, built homes at “Trade Mark Homes”, worked for the power plant in McGregor, was a counselor at Wylausing Academy in Prairie du Chien, and most notably he was a plant supervisor for McGregor Loudspeaker Manufacturing (MLM), also in Prairie du Chien. Through his hard work he was able to purchase a small farm on King Road in the Sny McGill Valley area of McGregor. He was known as the “Gentle Man Farmer.” When McGregor Loudspeaker Manufacturing was bought out, he worked at Monona Wire, Prairie Industries and lastly Cabela’s, both of Prairie du Chien. During that time Phyllis was diagnosed with cancer and he cared for her until her passing in December 2011. After learning of a fellow coworkers husbands passing, Jerry took a change and made a phone call to Theresa (Roach) Tippery, they began their relationship in 2013. One major uniting factor was that they both lost their loved ones to cancer and they remained together until Jerry’s passing.

Proceeding him in death are his parents, his wife Phyllis, his brother Douglas and many aunts and uncles.

He is survived by his son, Jeff (Marlene) Houg, grandsons, Dustin (Lexi Dietzenbach), Heath (Mackenzie Gamm), Ashton (Kaia Johnson), sister, Judy Janisch and her family, nephew, Jeremy Weiss, aunt, Alice Bareis and many cousins. Partner and love, Theresa (Roach) Tippery. 

Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 19, at Thornburg-Grau Funeral Home and Cremation Service in McGregor, Iowa. There will be a private Graveside Service with Military Rites at Pleasant Grove Cemetery in McGregor, Iowa. 

Rate this article: 
Average: 1 (3 votes)